Just like your personal car, vehicles used for business operation should be protected by an insurance policy. There’s a lot of risks involved with driving, and people are just as likely to get into an accident while driving a company-owned car. Or, in some cases, while driving their personal vehicle on company business. It can be hard to navigate the different situations of insuring commercial vehicles, but we’re going to explain the basics.

Depending on the size of your business, the type of vehicle, and the situations of use for the vehicle, your commercial auto policy might need more specific or umbrella policies. An agent can help you navigate what’s best. Most commercial auto insurance will include liability or comprehensive coverage. When customized to fit your needs, the policy could also include physical damage, uninsured motorist, hired auto, and non-owned coverage, to name a few. Some states will also have required coverages.

Another option for specific situations is Drive Other Car insurance. Typically, this coverage only applies to executives in a partnership or corporation when driving a rented or borrowed car that is not included on the commercial auto policy. It’s very limited in that way, but the policy can also be extended to the executive’s spouse.

If you’re wondering whether you need any of these insurance policies, think of any kind of motor vehicle being used in your business operations. A commercial auto policy can account for semis, vans, dump trucks, industrial vehicles, or other specialized motor vehicles. Even having an employee run company errands in their own car could be covered by a non-owned auto policy. All businesses are unique. For an accurate assessment of what fits your business the best, contact us today.